I gave my first Lightning Talk at CascadiaIT 2013: Getting Your Arms Around Unscopable Projects
(And yes, I realize that “unscopable” is not in the dictionary. That might be because no project is really unscopable!)
Here are the notes I prepared in my phone just before giving the lightning talk:
- My background: startup OEM, higher ed, startup cloud solutions company
- Unscopable project examples
- “Improve and upgrade IT Service X!! For varying definitions of improve!”
- “Move our office! And/or our datacenter! But we’re not really sure what’s in them…”
- What are we trying to do?
- How will we know when we’re done?
- What resources and budgets may be involved?
- What deadlines have already been promised?
- Who needs to be included in the team?
- Who needs to be informed about progress?
- Who is the GO/NO-GO person for this project?
- Are we looking for consensus on scope, time or money?
- Is this project a democracy or a dictatorship?
- If any consensus is needed, build it… meet individually, meet in small groups, meet in a large group… cookies! fruit! healthy snacks! but beware nuts and foods allergies!
- Write down:
- what we’re trying to do
- Get signoff on what you have put in writing from the go/no-go person!